Your first appointment with the gynecologist
What to expect on your first appointment with the gynecologist?
A first appointment usually begins with a conversation; what kind of complaints do you have and what is the reason of your referral. Your gynecologist will also have questions about your general health, your menstruation and your vaginal discharge.
An internal examination is a regular part of the consultation. For this part a speculum, a duckbill-shaped device, is inserted into the vagina. If necessary, a Pap smear can be done.
An indispensable part of the gynecology is the ultrasound. With the help of the ultrasound the gynecologist can get a good view of the ovaries and uterus.
The gynecological ultrasound can be performed in two ways:
- Transabdominal (through the abdomen), this is rarely done
- Transvaginal (through the vagina), a long, thin transducer is inserted into the vagina
For the vaginal ultrasound the doctor asks you to sit in the gynecological chair with your feet and legs supported, without clothes on the lower body.
A sheath is put on the thin transducer with lubricant to make the insertion go smoothly.
The gynecologist uses a vaginal ultrasound because the transducer of the vaginal ultrasound is closer to the uterus and ovaries than a transabdominal ultrasound. The image is sharper and more details can be seen.
Most women do not find this examination painful. Some women may have issues with a vaginal ultrasound, for example because they are still a virgin or because of an unpleasant experience in the past. Whatever the reason may be, you can always discuss it with your gynecologist.
Tips for your first appointment:
- If you prefer, you can bring someone along
- Having a period does not affect the examination, unless you need to get a Pap smear. If you feel more comfortable to come another time, you can postpone the appointment.
- Are you coming in for a smear? Please do not use a vaginal shower gel 24 hours before your appointment.
- Please go to the toilet just before the examination. The examination is much more comfortable with an empty bladder.
- You have to undress from the waist down for this examination. If you prefer, you can wear a skirt or a dress. That way you only have to take off your tights and underwear.
- There is a possibility that you experience some blood loss after the examination. Please keep that in mind with choosing your underwear. You will receive a sanitary napkin from us if necessary.
- Always indicate if you experience the examination as annoying or painful.
Waiting time indication